Friday, March 11, 2011

Wallaby, Conifer, Igloo.

When receiving this challenge I thought of all the ways I could BS my way through.  Which I guess in a way is completely legal but then I decided to do a little research, not sure if this is legal, and came up with a great idea.  I'll give you my BS version as well because I kind of like it.

First the real explanation from random sites around the Internet.

Wallabies are native to Australia and New Guinea, but were introduced to New Zealand as a way to maintain the population.  Even though most Kiwis (New Zealanders) view these animals as pests and kill them on site they have been able to survive and in some cases thrive in the areas of South Island.  The foremost survivor of the introduced species is the Rock-Wallaby which almost looks like a medium sized Kangaroo native to the Brush of New South Whales. 

South Island of New Zealand has seen a brand new invasive species and has labeled it as the "wilding conifers"  These pine trees have started to spring up in native grasslands and other areas around the island.  The Division of Wildlife has started to take some hostile steps to stop the invasion of the conifers around the island as they start to spread into North Island.  The hardest hit areas are around the city of Canterbury. 

North Island is home to a volcano by the name of Ruapehu (Pit of Noise - translation into English from Maori).  Ruapehu is home of the two largest ski resorts in New Zealand and is considered a tourist trap on the island.  On one of the ski resorts there was built an Igloo hotel that had six sleeping rooms connected together with a dining room in the middle.  It was considered a great accomplishment to keep it operating during the ski season even though temperatures don't allow igloos to stay well formed in New Zealand.  The hotel was built in the traditional ice block way popularized in pop culture, even though the Inuit word Iglu literally means "dwelling." So I guess they could have built another four star resort and still called it an igloo since technically that is what it is.


B.S. answer that crossed my mind with the challenge:

The Wallabies are the National Rugby team of Australia.  They are considered one of the best in the world and are currently ranked in the top five of the IRB world rankings.  Three years ago the team came to the United States to play a test match against the US national team, the Eagles, in Anaheim California.  California is home of the largest known Conifer species in the world, the red woods are second and I can't remember the first, but they are in the same national park.  The United States not only houses California but also stretches into the territory of Alaska which is the native home of the Inuit people.  Igloos is a type of house originally built by the Inuits though it is copied world wide now.

I am not usually one to blow my own horn but I think both connections are very well thought out and the second one clearly deserves scholastic publishing.  For all you readers out there with that ability.  Just kidding.

Davids Challenge:

Sticking with the Animal, Plant, Mineral Category I randomly rolled an F, J, and P.  So for your test of knowledge and reasoning I present.

Flamingo (Animal)
Jasmine  (Plant)
Petzite   (Mineral)


Good Luck and I can't wait to read the response.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap! There's no way I can top that! That was amazing, really. :)

    ReplyDelete