Sunday, September 18, 2011

Aviators: A Chinese Connection

It has been quite a while since I have contributed a blog posting ... funny that I had forgotten about needing to do one.  Since the family blog has kind of died out, I'm exploring other options to "Get My Blog On," and satisfy my exhibitionist tendencies.  Aren't I glad we started this blog?

Yea -- verily.

So you were kind to give me aviators.  The last connection you gave me was very rough, and I failed it (I think), so I'll give these aviators a double-connection, see if I can't connect them to China, in some way.

But before I do, I have to thank you very, very much for introducing me to Ip Man.  I have learned to love this movie -- and it has also made Mom and myself a very good friend in our host at China Buffet.  He calls himself "Leo" but Mr. Liu is a huge fan of Bruce Lee and Ip Man.  He even bought us the movie of Ip Man 2.  What a great resource, what a great movie!  For that reason alone, these little "connections" have been positive and life-expanding.  Our hosts at our favorite Chinese restaurant are now our friends.  :-)

Charles Lindbergh: His first plane was a Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny" but he actually learned to fly on a Lincoln Standard Tourabout.  In 1931 Charles Lindbergh visiting China with his wife, Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  There is a nice little vignette about the visit to Nanking during the awful 1931 floods to the area.  Lindbergh in Nanking, 1931

Wright Brothers: I thought it was interesting that Orville Wright submitted his patent for a "flying machine" nine months before he and his brother successfully achieved manned flight on Kitty Hawk on December 17, 1903.  I cannot find that either of the Wright Brothers ever visited China, but China graciously created a centennial stamp celebrating the 100th anniversary of the first manned flight of an aircraft.  Chinese artists created a beautiful bronze sculpture of the Wright Brothers, which they mass-produce and sell.


Amelia Earthart:  The world's most famous female aviatrix.  She was the first woman to attempt any of the things male pilots had accomplished.  Her plane went down, and it is still a disputed claim that bone fragments found on a remote island in the Republic of Kiribati might be hers.  There are rumors that she actually died in a Chinese concentration camp during the Japanese occupation of China in WWII, but there is no evidence to support this conspiracy theory.  Katherine Sui Fun Cheung is considered China's Amelia Earhart, being the first female in China to earn her wings.


Challenge:  I choose the random categories of:
  • Old Testament Individual
  • Mid-Eastern City
  • Iranian Herb
My calculator's randomizer offers me the following letters of the alphabet, in this order:
  1. P: Old Testament Individual
  2. C: Mid-Eastern City
  3. G: Iranian Herb
So the choices I make are:  Potiphar, Cairo, Gormeh Sabzi

No comments:

Post a Comment