I did cheat.
I will have cheated.
I am cheating.
I cheat.
I will cheat.
I cheated and googled results, instead of creatively coming up with my own solution to link the topics. Still, I hope my results were interesting -- they were definitely interesting to me when I found them!
| Plant tissue samples, Atlanta Botanical Gardens |
- James Watson
- Homeostasis
- Botany
- The stem cell in plant growth and development (from the book "Stem Cells and Tissue Homeostasis" by Brian Iles Lord, C.S. Potten, and R.J. Cole, members of the British Society for Cell Biology -- I learned something about apical cells -- I knew about the process, I just didn't understand the botanical mechanics. It looks like the entire book would be a great link for the three topics.)
- Salt tolerance, salt accumulation, and ionic homeostasis in an epidermal bladder-cell-less mutant of the common ice plant Mesembryanthemum crystallinu" (a research paper from The Journal of Experimental Biology). This research article incorporates research results research conducted by Watson and his colleagues on the multicellular glands of the Poaceae. Interesting
- Bio-Active Foods in Promoting Health: fruits & vegetables - by Ronald Ross Watson and Victor R. Preedy. (It received two 4-Star reviews!) Most of the references to Watson are found in the annotations, but that's okay. It still had some interesting chapters! I especially liked the linkages between oxysteryls, cholesterol homeostasis, and Alzheimer disease.
- Prepare Yourself for the Flu Season (newsletter archive from Homeostasis Labs, #72) This is where I cheated -- the article mentions Dr. James Watson, friend of Sherlock Holmes, instead of the Dr. Watson you required, but the article is so loaded with interesting cold remedies, that I decided to include the link, anyway.
There are many, many more results, but I thought 4 was a goodly number. Plenty of stuff to browse through!
Here is your Thanksgiving Theme Challenge (thanks to my calculator's randomizer)
A Autumn
N New World
P Pecan Pie
bon appetit
Wow that was amazing... good work on that David. Completely different direction than I would have gone. Isn't the Apical cells interesting, when I was learning about them I kind of thought about stem cells and how they are just their until they differentiate. I will have fun with this next challenge and work on it on the train to Utah...
ReplyDeleteIt WAS interesting for me ... now I definitely understand why it is better to treat the roots on the petunias as I do before I put them in the soil. I didn't understand that it really had to do with the Apical cells stimulated in the worked roots. I really enjoyed working on this ... thank you for the challenge!
ReplyDelete