I have never been musically gifted like my uncle but I love the rhythmic flows and counter flows of the best. It is one of the many jealousies I have of my uncle, but we can not all be good at everything or the world would be kind of a boring place. I will gladly sit back and watch others perform the music they create and find the joys in that. As far as arts go, I love to write and draw. I could write all day and not grow bored of it, though my hand would never forgive me for giving it that kind of punishment.
Thinking of the ways that art has evolved over the course of history makes one think of the possibilities that the future my hold. From cave drawings, to the neo-modern masterpieces (which I find hard to follow and kind of annoying) art has gone through many transformations. Music has gone from hand clapping and stomping through the classical/baroque movements, and into the tribal harmonies of modern rap and hip hop. I heard once, I do not remember where, that music is the original song that was breathed into the earth at creation. Though this original song has evolved and traveled along many different routes to where it is today, it is fun to think that all music has its roots in one simple harmony breathed into the land by a creator. It speaks to the soul, it chases out doubt and anxiety, it has the power to both uplift and depress the spirit, and mostly it creates an emotional tie to any that care to listen to it.
Art is the same way, it accomplishes the same things, and inspires the human race to greater things. This is why I get so disheartened to hear of school districts across the country, and the world, cutting funding for the visual and performing arts. The human existence is reflected through the arts, and if we were to cut all funding for the arts we would lose some of our humanity. If logic took over all aspects of life, which is what cutting arts and emphasizing maths and sciences is doing, where would our race go. Mysticism, spirituality, mystique, and love would all become a logic based science, feelings would turn into facts, and the human should would be no better than artificial intelligence. A monotone shadow of what we once were. I vote to support the arts in all forms, and not oppress the emotional, feeling embedded individuals that create the reflections of the human soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment